Centre for the Interpretation of Architecture and Heritage
The Maison du Patrimoine is a Centre d'Interprétation de l'Architecture et du Patrimoine (CIAP) and is part of the Ville d'art et d'histoire (City of Art and History) label, which Sedan obtained in 1999. The Ministry of Culture awards the label "Ville ou Pays d'art et d'histoire" (City or Country of Art and History) to territories that undertake to protect and animate their heritage, and signs an agreement with them. Today, more than 195 Cities and Countries of Art and History highlight heritage in all its diversity throughout France.
Actions to promote heritage are implemented, coordinated by the Architecture and Heritage Coordinator:
- guided tours
- visits and workshops with schoolchildren
- events such as the European Heritage Days, the Rendez-vous aux jardins, the National Architecture Days, etc.
- publication of discovery tours, brochures on the history of the city
Within the framework of the conventions signed with the State, each City or Country of Art and History undertakes to create a CIAP.
A Centre for the Interpretation of Architecture and Heritage is a place of presentation of the territory in its urban, historical and architectural dimension. It aims to give inhabitants and tourists, children and adults alike, the keys to understanding the city, as a prelude or complement to a visit.
A CIAP is not a museum in the sense that it does not present collections, but plans, photos, models, materials, architectural projects... that make you want to see the city for real!
Called "Maison du Patrimoine", the CIAP of Sedan includes :
- a permanent exhibition allowing to approach the urban evolution through the centuries as well as the themes specific to the territory,
- a temporary exhibition room,
- a reception and documentation area
- an activity room for schoolchildren
- the offices of the Heritage Department.